2300 people are trapped inside the Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza as Israel storms it
Here are the latest updates on the Israel-Hamas war:
- Inside the al-Shifa hospital, Israel’s military claimed to be conducting “a precise and targeted operation against Hamas”.
- “I have once again conveyed to the relevant authorities in Gaza that all military activities within the hospital must cease within 12 hours,” the Israel Defence Forces stated in a statement. Regretfully, it did not.” The IDF has also requested that the Hamas agents at the hospital turn themselves in.
- At least 2,300 patients, employees, and displaced residents are thought to be inside the hospital according to UN estimates, having been trapped there for days by intense combat and aerial bombardment.
- As of Tuesday, 36 infants were being cared for at the al-Shifa hospital, according to medical personnel there, who stated that despite an Israeli attempt to provide incubators for an evacuation, there was no obvious way to transfer them. Since the al-Shifa hospital ran out of gasoline over the weekend to power the generators that had kept their incubators running, three premature newborns have already passed away.
Also Read: China’s robotic AI chemist
- According to relief organisations and hospital employees, the current state of affairs is already “catastrophic,” with families living in the corridors with little food or water, medical procedures being performed without anaesthesia, and the air filled with the stench of decaying bodies.
- Hospital director Mohammad Abu Salmiya stated, “There are bodies littered in the hospital complex and there is no longer electricity at the mortuaries.”
- According to claims made by both Israel and the US, Hamas agents have been utilising Gaza’s hospitals as underground tunnels to conceal command centres and hostages.